The University of Atypical is delighted to welcome you back with the launch of our new exhibition I Want To Believe, part of Belfast Photo Festival 2021 with work by David Vintiner & Gem Fletcher.
David Vintiner & Gem Fletcher
3rd June – 8 July 2021
This captivating exhibition poses profound questions about what it is to be human, challenging our understanding of what a body is and how we converge with technology in a world of evolving possibilities.
David & Gem began this project on futurists five years ago, based on a curiosity about transhumanism and its implications for the future of humanity.
Transhumanism is the belief that human beings are destined to transcend their mortal flesh through technology. Transhumanists believe our biology constrains our experience of reality and refuse to accept what nature has given us. From bionic eyes to designing new senses and extending life expectancy, they are redefining what it means to be human.
Although these ideas have long lived on the pages of comic books and sci-fi novels, the movement – now a reality – is starting to disrupt industries and individuals in meaningful ways. With technology evolving at an unprecedented rate, further change is imminent. This project documents a critical moment in time as we enter the next chapter in human evolution.
The ideas explored in these images demonstrates how optimising our brains and bodies could revolutionise and redefine humanity. As human architects, we are limited only by our imagination. The profiles of transhumans are as diverse as its application, from artists and CEOs to academics and bedroom hackers, the transhumanist movement raises some important questions for us all.
While we love the efficiency and connectivity technology provides, can we embrace a future where it goes beyond our environment and enters our bodies and minds? Could we reach a point where we gift friends and family cognitive implants and new senses? If we are able to defy death, what are the implications for the meaning of life? And, most importantly, will this evolution divide or unite us?
Humans are now gods. We are able to design and create our personal evolution. But do we have the foresight to do it the right way?
- We will be gathering your name and contact information at the entrance to the Gallery, which we will keep for 21 days and then delete, in accordance with effective track-and-trace measures.
- Sanitiser units at the entrance and around the venue
- Anyone who can, should wear a face covering when visiting the venue
- We request that people practice social distancing inside of the space
- We will be regularly sanitising all surfaces within the venue
- We will no longer permit the audience/visitors to gather inside of the office space to protect staff
- We will provide single use biodegradable paper cups for refreshments for events