One of the oldest public buildings in Belfast, the first floor assembly rooms were added in 1776 to the 1769 single storey market house. Many famous events were held here, including an influential festival of Irish harpists in 1792. Local United Irishman leader Henry Joy McCracken attended that festival with the leader of the revolutionary group, Wolfe Tone. Just six years later McCracken was condemned to death in the same building. It was converted to a bank in 1845 by Sir Charles Lanyon. All milestones out of Belfast were once measured from here.
After the bank closed in 2002 the building has been mostly used for pop up events by local arts organisations such as Tinderbox and Culture Night Belfast for theatre, music, art installations and most recently a cinema and caberet venue.