This impressive sandstone building dates from 1854 and was built on the site of the dry dock belonging to William Ritchie, Belfast's first great shipbuilder.
In the boardroom is the captain's table and chairs destined for the Titanic but completed just too late for the voyage. Among the historic paintings is one of Captain Pirrie, grandfather of William, who as Chairman of Harland and Wolff was responsible for the building of Titanic.
As regards day-to-day life within the building, the ground floor is currently used as office accommodation, whilst the grandiose rooms on the upper floor are reserved for business meetings, including the Commissioners' monthly board meeting and various special functions related to Belfast Harbour's Corporate Responsibility Programme. These rooms, heavily ornate in typical Victorian fashion, also provide an appropriate setting for the Commissioners' impressive fine art collection. Belfast Harbour remains committed to maintaining the building's historic fabric in its original glory.